March 16, 2018

Over The Teacups #7

Short Reviews Over a Cuppa


Why? This was on sale at Audible and as I usually enjoy a Luanne Rice book I chose it. 

Plot Kate seeks her sister  Willa who has gone missing.  In the place she searches is lawyer John who is defending a criminal who kills women. He has two delightful children Maggie and Teddy. Will she find her sister alive? Are there any links to the criminal killer?

What Appeals to me? This had some twists and turns and tension that kept me listening. In the last few chapters I was sure biting my nails.   Kate was a strong character and a really nice person, Maggie and Teddy while they played small roles, were very much what made this book so appealing.  So crime, mystery, tension and a little romance.  While I was never sure of how this would end, let's just say I was satisfied.

And so...  I have read quite a few of Luanne Rice's books and this certainly lived up to what I expect from her. I still have some of hers that I haven't read so they will be in my future.

book cover
Why? I have read the previous books in this series and enjoyed them, although I didn't like the narration in some of them. So I was going to read this but when I looked at the size of the book I decided to listen.
Plot   This one is about CeCe who travels to find out who her family of origin is.  Her adoptive father Pa Salt has sent all the girls on an exploration of where they came from. CeCe's lead her to the western coast of Australia and into the interior to Alice Springs. We also learn the story of Kitty MacBride a Scottish woman who comes out to Broome, Australia- an ancestor of CeCe. I loved both stories. Very well researched.
What Appeals to Me? Well I will hang in there with this series because I want to find out the mystery of Pa Salt, each book a little clue or two is dropped. Also the hidden seventh sister is a mystery. Plus usually the dual time line of these books is very good. I really loved this one, for me the best!  The Australian setting was so well done and I loved every part of it. Plus... and a big plus.... the narration was very good. Two narrators - one for CeCe and one for Kitty and their Australian accents were recognisable! Although take note that that is a New Zealand ear listening!
And so...   Well I guess I just have to wait for another year or whatever to pass so that I get the next one which sounds like Tiggy is up next and it has something  to do with Scotland.

Why?  I really enjoy this romantic suspense series of Nick and Sam. I've read them all and this is #12.  They are addictive.
Plot. In this one there are a number of drive by shootings and Sam and her team are out to find out who it is before more people are mowed down.  Nick is dealing with the possibility of seeing the President stepping down and Nick being asked to step up. As well a few side stories of developments for ongoing characters.
What Appeals to Me? I enjoyed the fun winding up by Sam with her partner - Cruz, as she prepares his night out before his wedding. I liked the ongoing story of Nick and his job and Sam's desire to become pregnant.   But I'd like to see developments! Evidently I won't get them because it wouldn't suit the possible plots!
And so... I'll certainly look forward to #13 coming out later in 2018 and will definitely read it, although for me this one just didn't give the buzz I have come to expect from this series. Then again, could just have been my reading mood at the time.

10 comments:

  1. I want to read Riley's Sisters series. I will try to remember that after Rebel of the Sands and Hounded. I'd like to try Luanne Rice also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these sound great. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just reading the first in the Lucinda Riley am really enjoying it. I was a little hesitant about CeCe's book because I wasn't a fan of her when she shows up in Seven Sisters. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I think I might go audio as well - the length is a bit intimidating! I read that Luanne Rice right after it came out and was surprised how much I remembered about it as I read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I have read Riley, but I need to check which one

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look so good! And I am reminded that I have an unread Luanne Rice book that I need to pull forward! (The Lemon Orchard).

    The tea set is lovely...and reminds me of my Country Roses china from the Royal Albert line. I need to use them, if only in photos to set off lovely books!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these short and sweet booktalks...I have read not one of these lovely books. I used to love Luanne Rice but I have not read her work in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The secret hour looks so good, not sure if I read her books before. I have heard of the seven sisters series, not sure what it's about but looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Luanne Rice books, I am glad that you enjoy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this short and to the point review collection style. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have several Marie Force titles in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’ve reminded me that I should try a Luanne Rice book. And, I always see books by Marie Force. Since you’ve read the entire series, I think it’s safe for me to check her out too. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...